Thursday, June 5, 2014

Removing a Little Black Dye

Nothing to disclose, I purchased the product discussed.

I wanted to see if I could remove some of the black dye on the last 6 to 8 inches of my hair.  We all know what a pain in the ass removing black is!   I knew from the start that not a lot would happen, and I also knew I didn't want to push it, as I didn't need a repeat of the Great Hair Disaster of Autumn 2011 (if you want to read it just search my blog for "a Very Long Hair Story" and you'll find my four part tale).

I use Pravana Chromasilk 1N Black for most of my hair.  Underneath that is Paul Mitchell 2N/3N (and some NN) mix that the stylist Sami I was going to used to help bring my hair back to life after the disaster.  (For the record, I loved Sami and her work!   But no longer working means no money for the salon, and back to coloring it on my own.)

I've used several different color removers over the years, this time went with One n Only Color Fix.  If you read online reviews, people go crazy telling you how awful the smell is.  Yeah, it's a strong smell, but it reminds me of the older style salons with little old ladies lined up for their perms.  The smell can linger in your hair for a day or two, but honestly, if you've colored/bleached/removed color from your hair before, less than pleasant smells are nothing new.   And I can't stress enough, you absolutely need to rinse your hair thoroughly when you use a remover.  I've had success with Color Oops, Color Fix, and Effasol.  Color B4 remover worked well but left my hair feeling gummy in a few spots.

I bought two boxes, since it's always good to have a spare, but only used one box.  I applied the remover to the last 6-8 inches of my hair, kept it on for about 20 minutes and rinsed.  Nothing noticeable.  I applied a second round, kept it in for 20 minutes, rinsed and washed and decided that was as far as I wanted to go.  A third round would've done more, but again, no need to push.  I applied  Phyrra's Pretty Little Elixir,  left it in about 6 hours, and rinsed.  No pictures from the "during" since the changes were very subtle and really only visible in the sunlight.  I didn't take a "before" picture either,  all the hair I worked on was solid black.

The next morning I snapped a few pictures - it's hard to see, but in person it was easier to see that there was some lift, bits of reddish here and there.  Overall, still too dark to really see much, and I wasn't sure anything put over it would show much.  The bit of purple you see is from the front section that's always purple, btw.

outside with flash

outside no flash


I applied an entire tube of Pravana Chromasilk Vivids Violet to the area I'd lightened.  The Violet is a lovely shade, I'd been using it for the purple areas for a while before deciding I needed a bit more variety in the shade of purple.  But I do love it.  I left it in about 40 minutes, rinsed, and applied another round of the Pretty Little Elixir.  I left that in for hours (7 maybe?) before rinsing out.  Normally I use Joico K Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor after bleaching/removing color, but it's felt a bit heavy in my hair lately.  The Elixir feels much lighter and does a great job making my hair feel soft and look shiny.

The next morning I snapped a few more pictures.  Again, it's hard to see, but there's definitely a hint of purple in there.  I'd have liked a bit more, but am pleased overall.  No sense in destroying my hair, and I really don't want to have it cut short again.  The more obvious purple bit in the top right corner is from the front again, not part of what I removed & recolored.

outside with flash

outside no flash


Subtle, but again, I knew from the start that I wouldn't get much black out.  It's just enough to see a nice hint of purple on a sunny day, but inside, it looks plain black. 

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment