Monday, June 10, 2013

Small Destash Complete!

I did a fast destash on June 5.  It was really easy, partly because I've done this before and partly because I knew which items I wasn't using.  I listed things for sale in a makeup group and everything was sold within a few hours.   I didn't sell any lip products though, I didn't feel it was sanitary since they had doefoot applicators and I'd used them all.  I did put the empty containers into the Terracycle bin!  I did put the Tarte 5 pack of maracuja lip whips aside for my friend's daughter, who will love them.  I tossed a sample sized Benefit For Real mascara, since it's a pain in the ass to remove!

I got rid of 17 lippies, 12 mini shadows, 1 shadow sample, 3 mini highlighters, and the Missha BB cream that wasn't a good color match.  I sold all 8 of my Color Tattoos.  I like the product and the shades, but I don't reach for them.  I'd used Barely Branded three times, and a couple others only twice.  Some I'd only swatched.  So off they went, with a mental note to not buy any new ones.  Finally, I sold the Too Faced Romantic and Naked Eye palettes.  Again, these are lovely shades, but not quite the shades I want.  The Naked Basics palette I'd sold a few days earlier, as well as the L'oreal Infallible shadows.

Someone please attach a sign to me that says "do not allow this person to purchase any palettes" whenever I leave my house.  I keep telling myself this and one always grabs me and promises that I will fall completely in love with it, but it never happens.  I did buy what I want to be my last palette during the recent Illamasqua flash sale.  I haven't swatched it yet though.....I'm almost afraid to!

Here's what I started with on this destash.

 photo fa5378c8-9398-4772-9b6d-0e14ead5853c.jpg

And although I failed to get it all into the new organizer, I'm pretty happy with the results.  Everything is neat - or it was, you can see my son's hands on the side, he had to pick up some of the items and look at them (the Milani pencils in particular, which I got for Mother's Day).  It's much easier to take this one organizer out of the closet and put my face on rather than four separate ones.   I also have one Too Faced primer (NIB) that's not pictured, but the one in the pic is almost empty.

 photo 1bc867c0-014f-410d-af6e-e566083bb453.jpg


Lippies have their own container.  I'd like to get dividers and stand my lip products up so I can really see them better.  I don't want to just stand them up and put them in a different sized container, I'd prefer the dividers.  You know I have a bit of an obsession with things being properly stored.

 photo b3a968d0-20be-4c8a-a1d3-c9ca48695602.jpg

I do still have my sample binder, but I did not pour any more shadows into baggies and put them in the binder.  I find myself reaching for my binder less and less, at some point I'll whittle down my samples again and maybe someday I won't even need a binder.

Destashing is not an easy process for many of us.  It sucks! Who wants to give up their beloved products?    I always suggest making three piles - keep, maybe, toss.  Pick up each item, give yourself 5 seconds, and put it in one of those piles.  Really, it's easier than it sounds.  You'll know immediately what you absolutely cannot live without, and some items you'll find easy to let go.  The maybe pile is always the toughest for me.  Those are the products and shades that I like, but find myself not wearing for whatever reason.

The maybe pile is the one you need to reswatch the shades, or wear them to make a final decision.  You just have to keep chipping away at it, little by little, and at some point, hours, days, or weeks later, you'll find the maybe pile has been sorted through and is no longer. Always take your time with the maybe pile, so you feel confident you're making the right decisions and not letting something go that you'll regret later on.

You'll feel good when the whole process is finally over.  And if you can pass items along to a friend, or sell it within a makeup group or blog sale, you'll make someone else very happy to get a reasonably priced item.

Hope you've found this helpful, and thanks for looking!


2 comments:

  1. I did this with my makeup recently. I also do the same thing with clothing and accessories when things get overcluttered - give myself a set amount of time to decide if it's a keeper or a tosser. And you're right, it does make you feel better! Nice work. Good luck on holding back with those palettes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete