Monday, May 20, 2013

EWG's 2013 Sunscreen Guide

Environmental Working Group's 2013 sunscreen guide is here!   They release a new guide annually.  Simply click the link below.

EWG 2013 Sunscreen Guide

You can use the Advanced Search tab, type in your brand or select from the drop down box.  You can also click on the "Beach & Sports Sunscreens" tab, which will show you a list, and you can select from there.  The sunscreens that will appear in the Beach & Sports Sunscreen tab are ONLY those which "meet EWG's criteria" - in other words, they must be rated a 2 or lower.  If you click that tab and don't see your brand, try the Advanced Search option. 

Brands can have many different sunscreen options, and some may receive better ratings than others, so check to make sure you're looking at the right one, if you're checking a particular sunscreen.

WalMart has sunscreen on the shelves all year, but seem to carry a lot more options during the warmer months.   While I have a few tubes of my usual sunscreens - California Baby, Mustela, and Lavanila, I'm always up to trying something new.....especially if it receives good marks from EWG.   I checked through WalMart's shelves and found two new ones to try.

I purchased Cera Ve Face Lotion Broad Spectrum Sunscreen (SPF 50), which was not on the guide when I purchased it.  I've been waiting for it to show up.    It's rated a 4, which is not awful, but I'd prefer something with a lower rating.   Some of Cera Ve's other products received better ratings, so I'll try one of those instead.

I also purchased Sunology Natural Sunscreen Creme for Face (SPF 50), which I was pleased to see scored a 1 on EWG's guide.  

And I'm sure you all know this by now, but just in case you've been under a rock for the last few years, remember don't place too much importance on the SPF rating.  Quite a few sources claim that anything over an SPF of 40 is questionable.  The best way to protect yourself is frequent reapplications.  Instead of putting on a high SPF once, use a more reasonable number (that's likely more accurate) and reapply it.  Often.  I don't spend much time outdoors, but when I am out there, I reapply hourly.

I'll have some more on the Cera Ve and Sunology sunscreens for you soon.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment