Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wild Wednesday

I don't have any pictures to share but wanted to report that the bats are coming out of hibernation!   I saw three bats a couple of nights ago as I was taking out the trash.  I saw one darting about, then two more that were together.  It's always exciting when they appear.

We used to have loads of bats, but White-Nose Syndrome has caused an 80% decline in the bat population from the Northeast to Central US. If you haven't heard of this disease, please read the USGS National Wildlife Health Center information here.  

People have crazy fears about bats, but they're beneficial.  It is reported that a single little brown bat can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes in an hour!  So keep your eyes out for our little bat friends, and let's hope they can make a comeback in the next few years.  You know I'm rooting for them.

Thanks for looking.

1 comment:

  1. I love bats, don't see many around here though which is a shame :(

    ReplyDelete