Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wild Wednesday

We had several inches of snow Tuesday.  While standing in the kitchen making Ian a cup of hot cocoa, I noticed something move outside.  Hubby mentioned seeing a stray kitty cat Sunday afternoon, so I thought maybe it was the cat, since I'd only caught it out of the corner of my eye.

I grabbed my binoculars, and discovered it was a gorgeous red fox!   He wasn't very far into the woods, maybe 30 feet max.  I was in the kitchen window trying to aim the camera over the top of Ian's swing set.  Between the brush, the snow falling, and my old camera, I couldn't get a really good picture.

DSC09309

DSC09309_2

DSC09311

He had a luxurious coat, and wonderfully full tail.  It was nice, since the foxes I normally see are on the scrawny side.   He seemed quite happy to sit very still and listen, then every now and then dig furiously.  I saw him gobble down what appeared to be a mouse, which we have plenty of.  He sat for at least half an hour, but it started getting really dark and I couldn't see him anymore.  

Thanks for looking!

6 comments:

  1. Must be so nice to live so close to nature. I saw on the news this morning that someone in my town saw a bobcat on their fence. And it was in an urban area. Maybe he was getting too chilly in our surrounding mountains so he came down for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got bobcats, coyotes, bears, and a several mountain lions have been spotted over the years. It's nice to see them as long as they're not too close to the house and I'm inside!

      Delete
  2. Great that you can see foxes in your backyard, something like that is always special :) I lived at the edge of the woods for a few years and could see squirrels and deers from my window. A while ago I even saw a stome marten here in the city, I couldn't believe my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! Always interesting when unusual animals make an appearance.

      Delete
  3. You always get the coolest photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - I just wish I could've gotten better pics, but wasn't going to go outside to try!

      Delete