Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wild Wednesday

We bought a hummingbird feeder a few weeks ago. The ruby throated hummingbirds were visiting a hanging basket of impatients that I received for Mother's Day, but the flowers were starting to wilt from so much rain. Ian and I went to Lowe's and picked out a red glass feeder. We bought the clear nectar, since the glass is red. They also had clear glass feeders that were cute, we might add one of those next year.

It's hard to take a photo of them through the glass door. They fly up when I'm outside, but never when I have my camera in hand and am ready for them!

DSC07216

DSC07217

There's at least 2 females and one male, but possibly more. The two females tend to come to the feeder about the same time and then try to force one another to leave. They don't seem to understand that there's 4 places to feed, and plenty of nectar for everyone. They even chase away woodpeckers that are at the nearby suet feeder. (Shhh, don't tell anyone. We're not supposed to have bird feeders out until the bears go into hibernation!)

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. I adore hummingbirds. I just put our feeder back out yesterday (I take it down for most of the summer). Good thing you have the red bottle and not the red nectar. It isn't good for them. I have a clear bottle and make my own clear nectar and they love it. Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water, boil, cool, fill feeder. That simple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! My parents have hummingbird feeders. They're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete