Friday, June 8, 2012

Painting the Bedroom

After years of living with white walls, hubby and I have come to an agreement on what color we're painting the bedroom. He really wasn't keen on the purple, but liked the grey. I stopped by the paint store (Benjamin Moore) and picked up samples earlier in the week. I love Benjamin Moore paint.

I did small swatches on the wall, here's the first three shades. I knew "Storm" was too light but it was to convince hubby that darker would be better. He eliminated that shade immediately. Looks kinda institutional, doesn't it?

DSC05999

I painted larger swatches of the other two shades the next day. I like Cinder but it's just not the right shade. In person it has a green tinge to it, battleship grey. Not what I want.

DSC06000

Stormy Sky was my favorite from the start. But again, gotta put comparison shades to convince hubby I'm right. It's got a tinge of violet in it which is perfect.

DSC06001

When we painted the bathroom, I wanted a dark shade, and everyone convinced me it was too dark. I picked a lighter color, lived with it for a year, and didn't like it. I finally convinced hubby to repaint (well, he hired a painter!) to paint it the darker shade I wanted in the first place. Everyone said I was crazy, but every person who sees my bathroom loves it. They all agree the darker shade works, and looks so much better than the lighter.

I don't want to make the same mistake of picking a color that's too light. Our bedroom furniture is natural maple, so it's light. The bed linens are black (cotton comforter in the summer, velvet in the winter). The floor length drapes are black velvet. The Stormy Sky is going to make it dark! We're also going to paint the trim white, and the closet doors which are the same as the trim. The door into the bedroom is already white. A fresh coat on the ceiling too.

I think I'm going to add some sheers under my velvet drapes - not sure whether I want to do white or purple, but likely purple. It'll help tie it all in to the bathroom, which is purple, with white sink/tub/toilet and black vanity and cabinet.

The Stormy Sky does look dark if it's not bright out (raining when I took these pics)
DSC06002

DSC06003

I think it's gonna look really good in the end. Hubby says it better, because he's not repainting! It'll be a few weeks before we get to the painting, but I'll post some pics when it's all done.

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the results. I'm sure it will look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All your painting has inspired me!

      Delete