Thursday, May 31, 2012

Makeup Addiction and Burnout, Part 7 - Destash Complete!

I've finished my very long destash. Part 1 shows the ridiculous Sterilite organizer I used to keep my makeup in. Sorry, no pictures of it with my makeup in it. I did post them in a now defunct makeup forum as well as a Facebook group page (also gone), so a few of you may have seen them. Here's the whole story, if you feel like reading. Part Two; Part Three - Destash in Progress; Part Four - More Destashing; Part Five - the Binder Again; Part Six - the Spares.

Although my original goal was to have my entire collection in one of these storage containers, I prefer separating the items. Everything is neat and easy to find.

DSC05833

I had the single shadows in my binder down to a total of 64, plus 56 full size spares (23 shades) and thought I was done. The next day I pushed myself a little more, and whittled the binder down to the 20 shades below, and got rid of all the spares. This leaves me with 25 single shadows, plus the two Too Faced palettes.

Binder
DSC05784


Did I get rid of shades I'd once loved? Yes. How do I feel after getting rid of the rest? Liberated. Free. It feels good.

If you were told you had to reduce your makeup collection and keep only half, could you do it? What about 25%? 10%? Less?

I kept roughly three percent of my eyeshadow collection. I also reduced all my other products, although I don't know by how much because I didn't count all that when I started. My guess is 75% of the rest, foundations & powders, blush, lippies, and shadow palettes (which weren't included in the original shadow count).

I'm officially off my no buy. I will remain on a low buy indefinitely.

I really appreciate all the motivational comments so many lovely ladies have made during this long process, here, on Facebook, and emails. To all the ladies who have said they couldn't do it, trust me, when you get to the point I was at, you will. Keep my tale in the back of your mind, and if you ever need motivation, I'll be happy to cheer you on.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so proud (and a little envious) of your destash process. And who would have thought (all us extreme makeup lovers, that's who) that parting with makeup would be a PROCESS. But it is and you did it. You have provided lots of inspiration and I've managed to achieve a little bit of my own destash success. I'm still a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel so much better now, my collection no longer suffocates me.

      Delete
  2. Cin, I'm SO proud of you!!! Believe it or not, I've begun my own destash! Mine won't be down as far as yours, because of my performing, but it is absolutely out of control!! I'm putting it all in a box to take along to makeup workshops, visits with my Bellydance family, etc. and will pass them along to those that need/want them. It feels strange to already have one train case entirely empty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's great to have friends & family to pass things along to.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is amazing! I'm going through some of the same issues now with buying more makeup and beauty stuff than I need, and I'm at the point where I feel like it's suffocating me. You're an inspiration! Every time I feel like I can't do it or I want to give up, I'll just come back and look at your success. :)

    http://myblushisahorcrux.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, when your collection is overwhelming it's time for a major destash.

      Delete