Monday, March 19, 2012

Makeup Addiction and Burnout, Part 3 - DeStash in Progress

I started working on my binder Saturday morning and finished up Sunday evening. I'd reduced this twice previously, removing all the colors I didn't wear and removing shades I'd worn and felt weren't quite right on me.

I started with the samples; since I didn't buy full sizes of these shades, I thought it would be easiest to start with them. Some of the pictures are a little dark, but I finished up in the evening and the sun was long gone. Using the flash washed everything out so I relied on the bathroom lights only.

a handful of samples
Photobucket

swatching in progress
Photobucket

There were three hundred and twenty seven sample sizes, and I wanted to swatch each and every one, again making the three piles - keep, maybe, go. I tried to keep similar shades together so I could easily compare them, but it's hard with that many. I ended up keeping thirty four samples, only four of which were maybes. The other two hundred and ninety three were binned. I've used them all at some point, so I didn't want to pass them along or sell them.

one page of what I kept. Some are on the second page and some are in containers
Photobucket

part of the trash pile
Photobucket

There's a variety of brands that were in each pile, and what was kept or trashed is no reflection upon the company. With so many samples and being within a very narrow range of colors, there's going to be similarities and I had to make often difficult decisions to continue moving forward.

I got all of those done on Saturday and started working on the full sizes Sunday. There were two hundred and ninety three full sizes, mostly in bags but a handful in containers. These were the really tough ones, since I do really love these shades.

A handful of full sizes and samples in containers
Photobucket

the binder has been greatly reduced
Photobucket

I ended up keeping one hundred and sixty three full sizes, far more than I wanted. But I did get rid of one hundred and thirty full sizes. That's an accomplishment, considering all of these shades had been spared on the previous clean outs. Perhaps I should've waited a few more days before tackling the full sizes; I think so many in one weekend was too much.

Some shades were eliminated due to their finish / sheen, usually too metallic or shiny base. Others were tossed because they were too green, golden, or too warm on me. There were a few shades I liked but the shimmer / sparkle in them wasn't right, usually blue or greenish, but a few even had too much red. I had a few very similar black shades with purple shimmer, one got the ax simply because I thought the size of the glitter was too big compared to the others. Some were eliminated because they were too sparkly, others because they were too plain.

trashed
Photobucket

Again, no reflection upon the companies. All these shades were lovely, which was why I bought them in the first place. I've worn them all and letting go ain't easy!

With each purge, I have less and less colors to deal with, which makes it easier to compare them. All the shades I kept will be gone through again, and making it through this time doesn't mean they won't get axed down the road. My binder had been organized by brand, but is now by color. (I've switched it around a few times for various reasons.) I believe having it back in color order will make it easier to compare similar shades next time.

I think I will wait a bit, then work on these some more before I get to the unopened spares. If I can continue to narrow down, it'll make it easier to part with them. I am motivated to continue but it's a long process with all the swatching.

I'm unsure about the binder. My original plan was to get rid of it entirely, but with most of my full sizes being in the bags, it may make more sense to keep it to stay organized. I hope I can eliminate a lot more shadows before deciding on storage. If I do end up keeping it, I'll use a smaller one, and put the rest of my (mineral) shadows in bags and have them all in one place. Time and more destashing will tell.

I can say I rediscovered colors I haven't worn in a long time. That's a drawback to having so many shades, some get lost in the crowd.

Thanks for reading.  Part 4 is here.

5 comments:

  1. It makes me sad to see them trashed, I hope you kept the Sugarpill's, I'd cry a little inside if you didn't, just because I really wish I had some so badly lol

    I commend you tho. Most certainly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sugarpills are keepers! Yeah, it was hard to let them go, but I think it's a necessary step.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me sad, too, to see perfectly fine samples being thrown. If they were swatched/tested in a sanitary manner, why not sell them in color lots? That way you wouldn't even have to list the specific company and color names; just "pinks." greens," etc. I would be happy to buy samples of shadows I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely if they were "swatch only" I'd have passed them along to my coworkers, but these were shades that I'd worn previously. I couldn't keep track of which ones were only once or twice and which were more, so I felt it best to toss them. I know, sad, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

      Delete