Thursday, March 15, 2012

Makeup Addiction and Burnout, Part 2

**Disclaimer** remember this is not intended to belittle or minimize real addiction. Thanks.

Hubby got the new closet organizer installed and got to work. I started by swatching my shadows and made three piles - keep, maybe, get rid of. If there were similar shades, I'd keep one. It took about three days of all day swatching to get through them. I tried to make as many instant decisions as possible.

I reduced my mineral shadow spares by a little over three hundred. They were all unopened, unused, full size shadows. I'd claimed a few times that it was around 100, but I was embarrassed to admit how many it really was.

The ladies of the old AL Anon group were thrilled to snap up everything I was ready to part with. I charged what I thought were reasonable prices - less than what I'd paid for the items. Lots of ladies wanted trades only, but since I really didn't want to accept any more shadows I'd give the items away, asking only for a few dollars for shipping.

Another 250-300 shadows were opened, used full sizes that I got rid of in other ways, giving them to friends and coworkers or tossing them if there were no takers. I stopped counting those so I'm unsure, but hubby thinks it was over 300. I had loads of sample baggies, which were also given away or trashed. Some unused samples were passed along to a couple of women's organizations, although not always officially.

I took all but a handful of the full size shadows and dumped them into their matching sample bags, then put them in my binder to conserve space. I knew I still had way too much, but it was a great first step in conquering my hoard. I felt so much better, like a weight had been lifted.

I've had a few times when I opened the closet door and thought, ok, time for the next purge. I've tackled one category per day over the course of a few months, so I could be thorough instead of trying to do it all in one sitting. One day I got rid of all the mineral foundations and finishing powders. I sorted through my shadow palettes. I went through my lip products, then blushes. Traditional foundations were next, and lastly my brushes.

Here's my current stash, and ideally I'd like to get it to a point where it'll all fit in just one of these 9 inch by 6 inch plastic organizers. Yes, I realize some of you are feeling faint over that thought. I also have a Tarte Maracuja oil and a Stila One Step primer which aren't pictured. The Holika Holika cream is going to a friend next week, btw.

Photobucket

The majority of the bags are full sized containers poured into the baggies. I did switch from a 3 inch binder to 2 inch one. Eventually it will be gone.

Photobucket

I have a 3 drawer Sterilite organizer, which is 9 inches tall, 8 3/4 inches across, 9 inches deep; it contains spares and some nail polish.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There's also one more plastic organizer with more dupes and some full sizes in baggies. No, you're not imagining things, there's 18 of the same shade in this last container.

Photobucket

These duplicates are my elephant in the room. I know they're there, but don't acknowledge them daily. I firmly believe in grabbing the bull by the horns and my inaction on these really irks me.

I need to spend a day or two swatching them all, and finally decide keep or go. I've been slowly going through the binder, selecting one or two shades every few days. I wear them and decide, and most are going.

Do I feel I've conquered my makeup addiction? I don't know. I believe I've made good progess; I don't know many who'd willingly reduce their stash this much. I feel like I have to stroll through the makeup aisle, but I have done really well sticking to a low buy for a few months now. I also started a no buy while doing a Project 10 Pan.

I do read several blogs, and joined the NTMS FB group. I do like the ladies there and I think it helps me to be on the fringes - I get a vicarious fix and that's plenty for me.

The $50 Sephora gift card from Christmas is unspent. I'll use it for LaVanila sunscreen, which is a health care item for me, not a beauty item. The money I'm not spending on makeup is going to another fund. I'm not ready to tell the world about that, but it's a good thing.

Let this be a lesson to my fellow makeup addicts. It's wonderful to have a great collection, but don't allow it to consume you.

Thanks for reading.  Part 3 is here.

16 comments:

  1. OMG, I wish you could have listed them here. There is one color I wish Al would be able to closely dupe that was LE. Infernal Chaos was one of my favorites and I wasn't in time to get a back up. I'm on my last few grains as it's my Muccia. I can imagine how freeing it is to not have so many choices as well, just what works for you. Good for you.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listed a handful of items here but pretty much stuck with the AL Anon group, since the trading there was very active. I really don't do anything to promote my blog and was afraid if I had them here no one would see them! They would be snatched up within minutes of listing them, so I didn't cross list.

      But I may list the rest of the spares here, when I get to them. Not sure when that will be though.

      Delete
  2. I'm so proud of you! Destashing is really hard, even for me, when I didn't have anything near your amount. I kept telling myself "well, I *might* use it". I'm to the point that if it's been unopened for a month, or only swatched - it gets gone; unless it's for a specific event (like Halloween or a wedding).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I could say I've reduced further than I have at this point, but I was afraid to toss it all and then have a relapse. I think this way is safer.

      Delete
  3. Woweeee!! AWESOME JOB! I keep wanting to try to destash but can't bring myself to do it. Even blogsaling stuff kinda gives me a headache because shipping to other places from Canada is expensive and I feel nobody would wanna pay it.
    Miuccia is BEAUTIFUL! But I don't have a backup of it, but I do have a backup of Wonder-ous so I don't feel too bad :D
    I shouldn't feel bad at all, it's just makeup! But I'm hooked :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are an inspiration, Cin. I feel my collection looming over me on a regular basis. I feel a purge coming on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. I feel relieved with a smaller collection, and hopefully even smaller soon.

      Delete
    2. I sat down tonight with a glass (or two or three) of wine and went through my full size jar collection. I'm getting ready to post a huge sale on my blog. I'm not sure how it'll do but it's a start so I feel better already.

      Delete
    3. I saw and was impressed with how quickly you got everything listed. You've inspired me to get my butt in gear and start on these.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your continued de-staching. I can understand why you would have chosen the avenue you did to offer your purged products. I would have done the same. We are building a home so before it's time to pay a mover, I'll be doing a bit of the same. Hubby is a bit scared of my collection as well so there is another good reason to reduce. I've really slowed my purchases thou so it's growing at a much slower pace now that I've found what works for me. I've got so many colors (esp from AL) that are just not me but it's hard to let the pretty shimmer go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby never complained about my stash, just that he had to move the organizer.

      Robyn (Robyn's Nest, right above your comment) is currently having a sale with many AL products, you might want to check and see if she has anything you're looking for. I'm always happy to enable someone else!

      Delete
  6. Omgosh, I am crying that I'm not part of the AL Anon group. So many pretties. *__*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After much deliberation, the AL Anon group was closed (not a closed group, but closed as in ceased to be).

      There are other groups out there who encourage trades, but I try to stay away from them so I'm not tempted. Try the Eyeshadow Addicts group, you should be able to find some items there.

      Delete
  7. Holy stash Batman! I often wonder if I am heading down this road myself. You've got nice organization at least. :) Good luck with getting everything swatched so that you can figure out what to keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for my obsession with organization; although that did prevent me from seeing what a problem my stash was.

      It's definitely good to get rid of things now and then.

      Delete