Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nars Sheer Glow foundation Siberia swatch (and a little Mont Blanc)

**note Photobucket issues going on, so pics are wrong size & not labeled. Will try to fix again later.**

The ever lovely Phyrra suggested I try Nars Sheer Glow foundation. Her recommendations to me are always good ones, so I tried it out at Sephora on Wednesday. Our skin tones aren't too far from each other, both very fair, but she can wear more neutral to yellow tones while I need more pink undertones.

I read Nars' website and thought I should try Mont Blanc, since it's "light with pink undertone". I thought that would be better than Siberia, which is "light with neutral balance of pink and yellow undertone". I often use a yellow toned shade to help minimize redness, but need to walk the line between minimizing and wearing an obviously wrong shade.

I tried to squirt some Siberia on my arm, but the tester was all gunked up. Uh, hello, can someone check these things periodically and clean them? I saw two sales associates putting makeup on their own faces - great, but first can we clean the testers? Ick. A somewhat dried blob did land on my arm, and after I removed most of it, I was left with a teeny dot of Siberia. It looked too yellow right away.

I squirted a dab of Mont Blanc on my arm, rubbed, and it looked ok. This is the part where I need to remind myself that the lighting inside the store is atrocious. My bathroom has better lighting with those stupid energy saving bulbs that make me look orange. But silly me, with a hungry 5 1/2 year old saying "Moooooommmmmm, you've got enough makeup!" I decided to just buy the Mont Blanc and get to the food court.

We got our lunch, sat in a sunny booth, and Ian promptly asked me about the boo-boo on my arm. Huh? I looked, and realized it was the Mont Blanc swatch, which did indeed look like a bruise. After we ate, we walked back to Sephora and exchanged the Mont Blanc for Siberia, which was visible on my arm but a far better match.

An hour or so later, I arrived at my Mom's and snapped a few quick pics of the Mont Blanc.

I feel like singing the oompa loompa song here.
Photobucket

Look, it matches my Mom's kitchen counter!
Photobucket

Here's the Siberia, which is a bit more yellow than I'd like but still doable. The yellow helps tone down redness from my rosacea. It's decent coverage, felt nice and lightweight, definitely allowed my own skin - freckles and all - to show through, not at all mask like.

Photobucket

outside with flash
Photobucket

outside no flash
Photobucket

Photobucket


outside with flash
Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't mark off the swatch with a black liner pencil. I think you can see the Siberia, but it's not ridiculously obvious, which is the point. I think I need to wear it a few more times but so far I think it's the best non-Illamasqua match in a traditional foundation.

I hope you've found the swatches helpful, and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The Mont Blanc does look like a boo-boo. LOL at Ian... :-) The Siberia is on the yellow side but the texture and coverage looks great.

    I know what you mean about lighting... I tested a foundation on my wrist in the store and loved the coverage and feel, but once I got outside in the sun, it was shimmery! Did not look like that in the store lighting at all. Thank goodness for testers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's always best to check outdoors in the natural light. I don't know what they do to indoor lighting.

    ReplyDelete