Tuesday, June 28, 2011

For Madeline - Nars Siberia, Illamasqua RF115, CF115, and CF120 swatches

Madeline requested some swatches of Nars Sheer Glow Siberia with Illamasqua's Rich Liquid RF115 and Cream Foundation CF115. I threw the CF120 in for the heck of it, since she's contemplating a slightly darker shade as well. Hope it's helpful!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I took a small flat brush and blended out - or maybe that's blended in? - the swatches. They're much more difficult to see because three of them match my skin well.

I cut off a smidge of the Nars Siberia in this one, sorry!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't put up Illamasqua's CF110, which is white with pink undertones. You can see swatches of that against CF115 and CF120 here. I've read a lot of reviews about CF110 complaining that this is not a "natural" shade. It disappears right into my skin and looks like I don't have any foundation on, so I beg to differ. If it looks white on your skin, than it's not your shade, plain and simple. Oh look, a chicken! Sorry, got sidetracked for a second.

My skin is quite pink, and although I do try to minimize redness from rosacea, but there's that line between minimizing and wearing the wrong shade. On me, Nars Siberia is quite a bit more yellow toned than Illamasqua's 115. I can wear it on pinker/redder days and it doesn't look bad at all. It's the best non-Illamasqua traditional foundation I've used since switching back from minerals last September.

The 115 works very well. It's really a good match, and if I didn't have the 110 to compare it to I'd be completely in love with it. I wear this more and more often in the warm weather, when everyone around me is tan. It give me a hint of color but doesn't look fake, wrong, or completely off on me.

The 120 is not only a shade darker than the others, but also considerably more peachy on me. I wore this twice to work, thinking it was passable, but it's really not. :( It's sort of a shame because it did a great job covering up my rosacea. I tried to apply it lightly to my cheeks and then use 115 everywhere else, but after about half an hour it's just too noticeable on me.

If you have a Sephora or other store near you that carries these products, it's best to go in and swatch them on your own skin. Don't buy it then and there - leave the store, walk around for about 15 minutes or so, and check the swatch in natural light, preferably when it's nice and sunny. The store's lighting may not be the best, and the makeup might need a little time to absorb/oxidize and settle in. Make your decision after you've done these things.

I hope these swatches are helpful!

10 comments:

  1. CF110 (on the other post) is pretty much my dream shade. It would probably match me perfectly as I am so fair. I'm surprised in the stark difference between CF115 & CF120 -- it's like a jump of 2 or 3 levels it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's quite a difference from 115 to 120. But their 120 is a good equivalent to many drugstore brands' lightest shades.

    It's nice to see a company offer super fair shades. I wish all companies would broaden their selections, both lighter and darker. There's so many different skin tones, and while they can't make them all, it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking these!!! I think after seeing them all together 115 is going to be a little bit too light for me, what a shame. Isn't 120 dark. I'm surprised there is such an extreme difference in the two. I wonder what the 133 and 135 are like, maybe if I were to mix the 135 and the 115 I could get a colour closer to the NARS. Does the Illamasqua give a fuller cover than the NARS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cream and Rich Liquid foundations are heavier than Nars. Light Liquid would be a better comparison to Nars.

    120 is dark on me, but all in all it's still on the lighter end versus other brands light shades. It's got the pink undertones which might make it seem dark.

    133 and 135 are for neutral and golden undertones, respectively. They might be a better match for you, and mixing the two could work well also.

    Unfortunately I don't have them to swatch for you :( but if the Sephora near me ever decides to carry them I will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post. I finally bit the bullet and bought Nars in Siberia and it was to this post that I had to thank because of those swatches/comparisons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm desperately trying to find a foundation that is light enough for my pale skin! I've also got dry skin so a lot of foundations look flakey on me :(
    Have you got any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I do love Illamasqua for their shades, and you can always buy one of their white shades to mix in and lighten up one that's not quite right.

      I also love Performance Colors foundation, shade Snowie is perfect for me all during the summer months. I've been mixing in Chalk over the winter, no set amount, just sort of eyeball it daily. I have some swatches, they might be helpful.

      http://cinseven13.blogspot.com/2013/09/performance-colors-foundation-swatches.html

      You can also purchase sample sizes of this foundation!

      Delete
  7. Illamasqua discontinued their Powder Foundation in 115 :( which was the perfect match for me. Have you been able to find any powder foundations that are comparable to 115?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sorry, I don't use any powder foundations. I hope you can find something though!

      Delete