Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Illuminare Extra Coverage Liquid Mineral Foundation in Amalfi Alabaster

I ordered this foundation about 2 weeks ago. It arrived within a couple of days (very fast!) but I wanted to wear it a few times before reviewing it.

Photobucket

Illuminare's Blurb - "Want the coverage without the makeup look? This oil-free, semi-matte foundation serves a dual purpose as a full-coverage foundation and as a concealer. Excellent for concealing redness, hyperpigmentation, acne, and dark circles under the delicate eye area. Can be used in conjunction with Fantastic Finish or Ultimate All Day as a concealer. 100% oil-free .5oz (15ml)"

Ingredients - Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide-5% & Titanium Dioxide-4.4%
Ingredients: C-12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Deionized Water, Iron Oxides, Glycerin, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Magnesium Sulfate, Panthenol, Benzalkonium Chloride

Concealing Mineral Foundation - SPF-20
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide-5% & Titanium Dioxide-4.4%
Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Glycerin, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Alumina, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491, and CI 77499)


I purchased it directly from Illuminare.com, price was $27.

The Feel - it's not as smooth as some other foundations I've tried, but not a bad or chalky feeling to it. Doesn't feel greasy or heavy on my skin. Please note I do have very dry skin and use an intensive moisturizer during the day. This foundation really doesn't seem to blend smoothly into my skin without a primer. I use one daily, so not a big deal for me, but if you don't use one, you'll probably need it. Now again, my skin is dry, so your results could vary.

I also think I need to apply slightly more of this foundation than other liquids, but not a whole lot more.

The Color - It's a pretty good match for me. It's not perfect, but not enough to bother me. It's got a slight yellow tinge on my skin, but since I have rosacea I often use something slightly yellow to help minimize redness.

Illuminare offers 5 shades - Amalfi Alabaster, Portofino Porcelain, Florentine Fair, Sienna Sun, and Tuscan Toast. Certainly with 5 shades I don't expect everyone to have their perfect match, but there's other brands that offer 20+ shades and I still can't find one that matches.

I always give my foundation a few minutes to settle in to my skin, since the color may appear quite off at first.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Coverage - this does offer good coverage, but with a nice light feel. It's not as heavy as Illamasqua's Rich Liquid Foundation, but definitely conceals well. I've only had a couple of light to medium rosacea days, so it's hard to really judge until I have a heavy rosacea day. I did still use a cream concealer on the apples of my cheeks to help minimize redness, but it wasn't 100% necessary. I used under eye concealer twice and didn't use it once, but when I didn't, my under eye circles weren't glaringly obvious. It did a decent job of covering them up.

By the end of the night, there was no settling into the fine lines around my eyes or forehead. Yay! I thought it held up well throughout the day.

Tweaking - This shade doesn't match my skin perfectly, but I really don't ever buy any shade expecting it to. The slight yellow tinge will help to minimize redness. If they ever offer a lighter shade (or white) I'd buy it and mix it. It's not off enough to bother me, but I did toss the remainder of my LORAC Breakthrough Performance Foundation in shade SMS1. It's a better match than the LORAC was.

Overall - I like this. It won't replace my go-to Illamasqua, but will definitely be in the rotation. Has a nice light feel, good coverage, and not obviously off shade. Looks natural on, and I like the semi-matte finish. Just remember you will likely need a good primer under it.

Here's a picture of me wearing it Monday. I do blend my foundation down my neck to avoid the dreaded line, but it's not obvious where it ends. I think outside in normal light it looks fine.

Photobucket

Hope you've found this information helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment