Thursday, February 17, 2011

Seven Questions: Chyld's Play

Photobucket

If you’re looking for something practical, yet fun and funky, take a peek at Chyld’s Play on Etsy. Danielle offers recycled messenger bags, knit hats and scarves, and interesting earrings and necklaces. I'd like to thank her for taking the time to answer my silly questions! Please note all photos courtesy Chyld's Play.

I've know her for years through another forum, but how to introduce her? How about a little "About Me" type bit first? Danielle, tell us a bit about yourself.

I've never really had any sort of training for anything I do. It's just been trial and error.

I used to watch a friend of mine sew, when we were teenagers and always wanted to be able to do that. Even in Home Ec class, I didn't want to sew, but that was because of the sewing machines. They had these ones that had so many buttons on them that I didn't know what to do. If I ever have a sewing machine, all I want are just the bare necessities...basically just a straight stitch. I prefer to sew by hand. I sew far straighter by hand then I ever did working with a machine.

One day I finally decided to try and make a bag using an old t-shirt...and it's evolved from there :)



1. Why recycled?

I really don't remember what got me started on using recycled materials.
I live in a small town where I don't have access to corduroy or certain other materials right when I need them. I either have to wait until I can get out of town or special order stuff.

The local thrift shop that I frequent almost always has corduroy pants, in all kinds of colors. One day I decided to try and use them for making bags. And now I have two plastic totes full of corduroy.

I got the t-shirt blanket idea from one of those t-shirt surgery books. Also thanks to the local thrift shop I have plenty of t-shirts to make those with as well.

I liked the idea of the messenger bag with a picture from a t-shirt on it. Helps if it's your favorite t-shirt too. Because, you know, you can't really wear your favorite shirt every single day without it starting to look dirty and smell.
With a messenger bag, you can always have it with you then :)

Patchwork corduroy messenger bag
Photobucket

2. Do you prefer any particular materials to work with?

I do like making little things out of fabric, like the wristlets. They're quick to make. I can go into the local quilt shop and buy one of the fat quarters, or two, that they have already cut out for quilters and make two or three wristlets, depending on the print.

I also love making the eclectic earrings. It's fun to just grab random beads and add them to the earrings. I think the Lego ones are my favorite so far.


Mega Blok earrings

Photobucket


3. Can you give us a "dummy's guide to" what the heck is loom knitting and how it differs from regular knitting?


I think loom knitting can be easier than regular knitting, since you use a round/rectangle loom, instead of knitting needles. You can make all kinds of items on these too. You can either experiment or start with the instruction booklets.

You really don't have to know anything about knitting to use these, so that's a plus. You don't have to worry about dropped stitches either, because with regular knitting you have to go back and rip it out until you get to that dropped stitch.

I've watched my friend knit and I just can't seem to grasp it, same with crocheting.


Pink & White knit winter hat, cupcake style!
Photobucket

Green & white scarf
Photobucket

Fun fur scarf
Photobucket


4. Why is it when you see a nice little old lady knitting in a movie, you just know those knitting needles are going to end up being used as a weapon later on?

I have no idea, but it's so true :)

5. Tell me a bit about your personal style.

I really don't know what my personal style is :) Personally I love the steampunk look and the gothic look...the rocker chick look...etc... If I had all the money in the world, I'd have a closet full of awesome clothing :)

6. What are your influences?

Hmmmm...I seem to get inspired by lots of things. Sometimes I just see something in the store and immediately know what I can make with it, or make it into. I always think it's neat when a crafter makes something and another crafter gets inspired by that.

I know something I'm watching or reading..or even music I'm listening to can inspire me.
Right now I'm reading a vampire book...and I keep wanting to make vampire themed items.

I've always been watching Supernatural, which is making me want to make something inspired by that show. I just haven't figured out what yet.

Vampire Earrings
Photobucket

Broken Heart Necklace
Photobucket

7. Fill us in on your TNT sale and the AttackoftheCraft team, please!

AttackOfTheCraft has a forum where anyone can go and join (http://www.attackofthecraft.com "For Crafting Misfits"). We talk about all kinds of stuff, not just crafts. It's lots of fun :)

TNT is a sale that was started back when it was the DIYScene Team, then it changed to Craftanon Team, and now it's the AttackOfTheCraft team. It's usually every Thursday. Every week a sale is chosen - free shipping, a percentage off, etc. Then we promote it all day and also have a chat hosted on the Etsy site to help promote it.

Danielle, thanks again for your time.

Danielle has 100% positive feedback on Etsy, and has also sold on Goth Auctions for approx 8 years with stellar feedback there as well. She really is a sweetheart. She accepts Paypal, and ships anywhere, just take a peek at her Shop Policies for more info. She also offers vintage items through a second Etsy shop, Vintage CD Chyld.

Don’t forget to check out Attack of the Craft on Thursdays!!

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome. I know CDChyld from the forum(http://www.attackofthecraft.com) and she is an awesome crafter. Actually she's an amazing person even outside the craft. Her stuff is pretty awesome.

    And, yeah, at the risk of sounding like a bad advertisement, I love that forum. They have sections to discuss everything, and a ton of threads on http://www.attackofthecraft.com are geared to help out independent artists like myself.

    Look up nevarsong or nevarsongdesign on Google to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!! Thanks for the AOTC plug ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelle, I agree, Danielle is fantastic! And I agree, the forums are great.

    Poisoned Creations, AOTC deserves lots more plugs!! All the crafters there do amazing work. I hope everyone who reads the article clicks the link to check it out.

    ReplyDelete