Monday, January 31, 2011

Cleaning Latex Jewelry

I love my latex pieces from ArtWith Designs. They're fun to wear and require minimal care. Here's how I clean my latex:

Photobucket

1) Fill sink with hot water - no soap!
2) Drop in one piece and allow it to soak for about 10 minutes
Photobucket
3) Towel off excess water, then allow 10-15 minutes to air dry

That's all that's required. Pieces will start to get a matte look, which I like. Some of the pieces I prefer shiny, so I go on to step 4.

4) Astroglide!
Photobucket

ArtWith recommends a silicone based shiner (like Eros Bodyglide or Astroglide) or Armor All. Frankly, I won't use Armor All on my car, and I certainly don't want it up against my skin. Astroglide is safe for all body areas (ok, don't stick it in your eye or eat it).

I put a little Astroglide on my fingertips and work it into the piece. It's slippery! I take a paper towel and gently blot off any excess, then put it on a second paper towel and allow it to air dry.

Photobucket


Oooooh, look how shiny!
Photobucket

If you don't have any latex pieces - and don't have any latex allergies, obviously - try a piece! Artwith offers bracelets, chokers, necklaces, pendants, masks, and pasties. They're available in a variety of colors, black, white, pink, green, multi colored. Don't wear latex pieces with copper which will stain the latex, and don't wear latex pieces with leather, which could cause the latex to deteriorate. Light pieces may stain.

Please note pieces should be stored flat in a ziplock bag or plastic storage bin, and OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT. I took the pics in the light only so you could see the detail. ArtWith will replace a piece if it tears, provided you've done your part to care for it properly.

Hope you've found this helpful!

5 comments:

  1. I've stumbled across ArtWith before. Muchos lust... there's one I love called Circ! I just don't have the outfits to go with it all anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, the Circ necklace is amazing. I love to wear my pieces with a plain old v neck sweater as a way to interject a little oomph into ordinary outfits. They're also great conversation pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen anything like this before! I've bookmarked the site for the next time I'm in a buying mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nekosan, they are gorgeous pieces - if you do buy any make sure you check out their size chart before you order!

    ReplyDelete