Saturday, October 30, 2010

Illamasqua Cream Foundation

I finally tore myself away from Illamasqua's Rich Liquid Foundation to try the Cream Foundation that I ordered at the same time.

Photobucket


I ordered the CF110 (on the left) from Sephora a few weeks ago, the CF115 (on the right) from Beauty Bay after that.

Prices vary for the 0.28 oz compact with handy mirror and foam applicator. Sephora's price is $34.00 Beauty Bay is $28.10 and Illamasqua's site is £21.00, roughly $29.35 (obviously conversion fluctuates). Illamasqua offers this foundation in 16 shades, Sephora carries 8 and Beauty Bay carries 11.

Illamasqua's blurb - "Create a base that brings out the bold in you. Illamasqua Cream Foundation works with your skin to cover and enhance. It blends easily, allowing you to vary coverage as much or as little as you need, effortlessly balancing uneven skin tone and giving you the control to create a flawless finish."

This foundation has a light scent. I double checked some reviews and a few ladies mentioned it had a vanilla scent. I liked it. I could actually smell it on my face when I went to work, which isn't a bad thing. It was faint, but it was there, so if you're sensitive to scented products, go sniff it at Sephora first.

The Feel - This is really hard to describe. When I applied it I wasn't really crazy over it, it did feel a tad heavier than I wanted. It could have been the foam-type applicator that was throwing me off, the way I brushed it onto my skin. But it didn't feel mask like after a few minutes, and then it felt like any other foundation. It did glide on quite nicely, and only a small amount is needed. (see "Staying Power" for more) Keep in mind my skin is quite dry.

The Color - Use Illamasqua's color chart to decide which shade. Just roll over the shade and you'll get a picture of two people wearing that shade, which I find very helpful. I also love that they use both male and female models to show their foundation. Guess I'm just a sucker for a guy in makeup....

CF110, which is white with pink undertones, was perfect. It goes on very light but within a minute or two disappeared right into my skin. CF115 seemed to match better when I first put it on, but after a couple of minutes I could see it wasn't right. The usual beige tinge, the tell tale sign that it's the wrong shade. But I knew it would be not-quite-right, I bought it to use with the CF110 to minimize redness. There are reviews that suggest CF110 is not a natural looking shade. It's probably not on most people, but those of us who have to mix in white mineral foundation or various color correctors to make a shade light enough, it's heaven sent.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Coverage - I expected this to be a heavy coverage, but I felt it was more average coverage. It didn't conceal my rosacea as well as the Rich Liquid Foundation. I needed to apply a little cream concealer to minimize it. This foundation would work well for those who do not have rosacea or other skin issues. I didn't find it to be mask-like or heavy at all.

Staying Power - I've worn this foundation for a few days (4?) and I think the staying power is fine. It didn't crease around my eyes or fine lines. It looked great at the end of the day.

Since it's been an eternity since I used a cream foundation, the first try ended up with too much product on my face. It's easy to think you need more than you do on the foam applicator, but remember the "less is more" and you can always add if needed. I buffed the excess and was careful with how much I put on the applicator on subsequent applications. I gave it a minute, then applied a dusting of green tinged finishing powder. I rubbed my face on my shoulder and did not have any product transfer to my black t shirt. But keep in mind, it's very easy to apply too much product, which will definitely cause transfer.

Tweaking - No need to tweak the color, but as mentioned above I will need to use a cream concealer to minimize rosacea. I also plan to use the CF115 to help minimize redness.

Overall - I wasn't sure whether I wanted to like this or not, because I'm so happy with the Rich Liquid Foundation. But overall, I do like it, more so each day. It's nice to have more than one option, and not have to be mixmaster general to get the right shade. I plan to use this foundation on my light rosacea days, and stick with the Rich Liquid Foundation on the medium to heavy rosacea days.

And of course - don't forget Illamasqua supports the Sophie Lancaster Foundation with the sale of its Sophie black liner pencil, wristbands, and "click to donate" option. I also purchased their Gleam Cream and Light Liquid Foundation. I've been itching to try the Gleam Cream, but wanted to use this Cream Foundation alone for a few days so I could review it. I can see Illamasqua is going to put a bit of a dent in my makeup budget!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like this is a great product :) I'm glad that they both work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 115 could be similar to studio fix nc 15 by mac?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I remember, the 115 shade is similar, but it's been years and years since I've used MAC foundation!

      Delete