Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all? NOT YOU!!

This has been irritating me for a while now. What the HELL is up with women insisting that their skin is "super pale" when in fact, it is not?

Recently I've seen loads of pictures posted in various forums (makeup mainly, but social networking sites, forums with a mish-mash of topics) where women go on and on about how fair skinned they are, how all the drugstore (or makeup counter) brands are just too dark for their skin, blah blah blah. They are thrilled to discover both theatrical makeup and a few mineral makeup companies that offer very fair (or even white) shades and swear up and down that it matches their skin perfectly.

Then you look at their necks, ears, or places that they haven't got the foundation, and NO IT DOESN'T MATCH. It's too light, and often times WAAAAYYYYY too light. First I brushed it off, thinking, well, maybe the flash washed them out. But nope, it's simply that they are wearing the wrong shade and just can't admit it.

There's no trophy for having the fairest skin out there. Believe me, I'm pretty fucking pale and I'm FAR from the palest person I know. So, to these ladies, please, stop trying to impress everyone with how light a level foundation you wear. I've seen baby bats with white powder caked on their faces that matches their real skin better than some of the pics I've seen lately.

When someone gives you advice to try a darker shade, maybe they're politely trying to tell you something. Don't stand there and argue "but I'm too pale for that!" because you're not. I should start linking to these pics so you can all see specific examples that are completely crazy.... but for now I'll be nice and just yell.

Whew, I feel much getting that out of my system.

4 comments:

  1. I really appreciate you posting this. For quite a while, I WAS this person, insisting on getting a too-pale foundation! Now that I have the proper color, my makeup looks a hundred times better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy when I finally met someone paler than me! It's fantastic to not be 'the fairest'.
    What's even better is finally finding a foundation shade that matches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, I'm glad you've found a color that works for you!

    Phyrra, believe me, I'm not half as pale as a couple of my friends. They could wear pure white foundation and it would still be too dark!

    ReplyDelete